Hill County Courthouse, Hillsboro, TX

Hill County Courthouse

80 N Waco St, Courthouse Square, Hillsboro

The fourth courthouse for Hill County (organized in 1853) and the third one located in Hillsboro, this impressive landmark replaced a brick court building erected in 1874. Contractors Lovell, Miller and Hood of Brownsville built this structure in 1890 at a cost of $83,000, from Bell County limestone. Waco architect W. C. Dodson, who designed a number of public buildings, planned the French Second Empire building, modified with Classical Revival and Italianate styling.


The three-story courthouse is topped by a 70-foot tall clock tower. The interior is divided into four quadrants, with central intersecting hallways. Courtrooms, a Law Library, and offices fill the interior.

A massive fire on New Years' Day 1993 destroyed most of the structure. All that remained were the four limestone walls, but the citizens of Hill County decided to undertake a massive restoration project. Hill County native Willie Nelson held two concerts to help raise funds for the restoration.




The reconstructed courthouse, completed in 1999, is the tallest building in Hill County. It can be seen from miles away, in all its original glory.


Back to Top