Hubbard Victorian home

Victorian Homes in Hubbard

City Of Hubbard LogoThe town of Hubbard, located in southern Hill County, has been called the "Victorian Crossroads of Central Texas". It was founded in 1881 as a shipping center and supply point on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway, and later developed into a banking and market town.

The town was named for Richard B. Hubbard (1832-1901), colonel in the 22nd Texas Infantry during the Civil War, Texas Governor from 1876-1879, and United States Minister to Japan from 1885-1889.

In odd-numbered years, the local Garden Club sponsors a Homes Tour on the Sunday afternoon of Hubbard's Magnolias and Mistletoe festival.

Some of the many historic buildings in Hubbard are listed below. Our Hillsboro & Hubbard Driving Tour has detailed driving directions you can use to visit these preserved sites.


McDaniel Family Home
Maple and North 3rd West

Hubbard McDaniel Family Home

This home was built in 1882 by Joe B. McDaniel, a local merchant and banker, for his widowed mother, Elizabeth Bonner (Mrs. William M.) McDaniel, and is of late Victorian architecture. It is one of earliest fine houses in Hubbard, founded when the Cotton Belt railroad extended its line from Tyler to Waco in 1881. The structure is of walnut and pine, and the ornamentation includes an array of banisters on porches and stairs. Decorative columns and gables, and tinted window glass complete the home.


Hubbard Rigsby Home

Rigsby Home
210 W 7th at Cactus Ave

Built in 1896 by Lee Onstott in the Victorian style, this home has ornamental gables, tile hearths, and ornate glass.


Condor House
Hubbard Condor House307 N Bois D'Arc

This house was built in 1906 for E. L. Condor, a saddle and harness maker and an early trustee of Hubbard's Methodist Episcopal Church. It is constructed of cypress and long-leaf pine. The home features a wraparound porch, Doric columns, and a triangular pediment over the three-windowed bay at the end of the porch. A good example of an early city home, it remained in the Condor family for almost fifty years.


First Methodist Church of Hubbard
208 North 2nd Street West

Hubbard First Methodist Church

The first church congregation organized in Hubbard began in 1882 with seventeen charter members. A frame sanctuary, built on this site in 1891, was replaced by this structure in 1911. Designed by the Dallas architectural firm of Flanders and Flanders, the imposing building combines a strong horizontal emphasis with geometric detailing influenced by the prairie school style. Prominent design elements include twin towers and over 100 stained glass windows.


Back to Top